Soft signage is a major player in the digital textile printing market, making up nearly 41% of its total volume. The segment’s largest end-use application, soft signage is experiencing explosive growth, with a projected compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of nearly 28% through 2020, according to fibre2fashion.com. In this article, we will examine the soft signage market in depth; detailing the factors driving its growth and the applications to watch as this market segment continues its rapid expansion and evolution.
What is Soft Signage?
Before delving into this topic, it’s helpful to define “soft signage” as a basis for examination. According to Printing News, soft signage can be defined simply as, “digitally printed fabric signage.” Soft signs are limited to a particular ink set and typically printed on polyester-based fabric, or in rarer instances, cotton or a cotton blend. Soft signage takes some different forms. Applications for soft signage will be explored in more detail below, but some common examples include teardrop and retractable banners.
Benefits of Soft Signage
There are many benefits to soft signage, including:
- Versatility – While fairly obvious, the fact that soft signage is not rigid or set allows for flexibility of use. Many businesses have gravitated toward soft signage due to its versatility. For example, a teardrop banner created for a conference or expo can also be used for events, receptions and other occasions.
- Painless set-up and storage – Soft signage is easy to setup – typically one or two steps, and in a matter of minutes, the display is ready for use. Storage is also simple, as soft signage typically breaks down and stores easily and safely in a case or within itself/its base, as is the case with retractable banners.
- Professional appearance – With high-quality printing and fabrics, it’s easy to create soft signage that looks clean and professional.
- Save time and money on shipping – Because soft signage can be easily disassembled and stored in either the sign’s base or a compact case, shipping is a breeze, and the expense of bulky packaging is eliminated. Whereas rigid signs require large crates and significant costs – especially as shipping costs continue to rise soft shipping signage can be as simple as folding and packaging a piece of material. With soft signage, the shipping costs will no longer be larger than the print production costs for national delivery.
A Greener Option
While polyester fabrics are not typically considered a “green” material, the heavier materials they replace – often used in conventional signage – have a much greater environmental impact to produce and are ultimately left at landfills.
In addition, some textile manufacturers have made further commitments to environmentally-friendly business practices by enhancing their recycling initiatives. MCT Digital is proud to partner with two such textile vendors, Aberdeen, and Top Value, which employ environmentally-conscious practices and “encourage re-use, swapping and sharing to keep things out of a landfill.”
There are numerous applications for soft signage. Below are a few forms this valuable type of signage often takes:
- Indoor banners – Including retractable banners, hanging signs and event displays, such as those commonly used at conventions and expos.
- Temporary outdoor banners – Including teardrop and light post banners.
- Backlit and front-lit displays – These versatile displays can be used, and found, in a variety of settings, including sporting events and airports among others.
- Interior/commercial/home/office décor – From signage in company lobbies and reception areas, to pieces that are more decorative in nature and designed for the home setting, soft signage offers a professional and eye-catching solution.
- Photo and art reproduction – The high-resolution printing capabilities and top-quality fabrics used in soft signage make it a preferred option for artists, photographers, and advertisers in displaying and promoting pieces.
- Silicone Edge Graphics (SEGs) – Often used in backlit displays, this fabric-based solution allows for a tight fit and clean, professional look.
- Industrial fabrics exhibit similar needs as those of soft signage for products like awnings, tents, balloons, and more
The Bottom Line
Soft signage offers a versatile, cost-effective and professional solution that is well-suited to a wide variety of applications, industries, and users. Considering the benefits outlined above, it should come as no surprise that soft signage is quickly gaining market share in the sign space and establishing itself as a practical alternative to traditional vinyl or plastic materials and products.
Trust MCT Digital with Your Soft Signage Needs
At MCT Digital, our expertise and innovative technology allow us to provide you with the too to produce high-quality soft signage solutions for a wide range of satisfied customers. Whether you’re looking to promote an event or enhance the look of your home or business, our solutions have the tools and processes to create signage that is durable, attractive and effective in achieving your goals.
We partner with trusted and environmentally-conscious material vendors to give you guidance that will allow you to provide a one-stop-shop for all of your customers’ printing and soft signage needs. And don’t forget that the same solutions also allow you to finish more traditional graphics requiring knife cutting, creasing or routing without giving up speed or quality, or additional floor space.
Our philosophy is customer-centric and focused on offering a wider and more efficient product line, combined with more cost-effective pricing, to provide solutions to a range of customers and applications.
The well-being and profitability of a customer’s business is the best guarantee for MCT Digital’s own success and continuity. MCT Digital has developed an array of customer service solutions, which allow clients to maximize their uptime, and in return, increase profits.
Look at MCT’s website, www.mctdigital.com to see our solutions in action. To speak with an MCT Digital salesperson, technician or another member of our experienced team, contact us today.
Discover the MCT Digital difference.